Friday, October 10, 2008

A Day in the Life... Friday

4:30am: I awake when Luci lets out a slow, sad, "I'm in pain" cry. She's still half-attached to my boob, but she has pulled off to let out this cry in her sleep. I feel her tummy: little bubbles are rumbling around. I drag her up onto my chest and prop myself up to get her elevated to see if I can get her to burp without waking. She lets out the tiniest bit of air, but nothing else. I wish we could sleep like this, chest to chest, but she keeps shifting her head from side to side, and I know she isn't comfortable. I plop her back down beside me and she latches back on for the remainder of our all-night nurse-fest.

I am officially awake. She is nursing and thrashing, as her tummy pains flare in waves. I could shove her over into the second crib we just bought last week to sidecar to the bed for nights like this. But I don't, on account of two things: (1) I don't believe she'll sleep on her own if I'm not "restraining" her from thrashing herself awake, and (2) Much as I will not admit it after these long nights of poor sleep, I like sleeping with her snuggled up to me.

7:15am: Adam nudges me and tells me it's time to get up. I don't remember falling back asleep, but it can't have been very long ago. It never feels like morning in a room with no windows. I mutter something about never wanting to wake up again, and sleep for another 30 minutes. Adam gets to sleep in an hour today-- his first class was canceled.
Something is wrong with my eyes-- they itched all day yesterday and grew puffier and redder as the day wore on. Maybe it's all this intense staring at a computer screen at work. I am officially entering some sort of hibernation phase; I am exhausted all the time and feel like I could fall asleep at the drop of a hat (except between 4:30 and 6:30 this morning, apparently). My eyes look terrible this morning, but it feels and looks more like allergies than a Pink Eye-type virus, so to work I must go with them. I do my best to normalize them with makeup, but I look as exhausted as I feel. And I need a haircut.

I'm running late when I say goodbye to my mom and Luci and fly out the door with the end of a loaf of applesauce bread and a half cup of coffee. I come INCHES from backing into Adam's car before I realize he's parked behind me in the driveway. Running back in to find his keys and move his car sets me back another few minutes, and I have to run from my blocks-away parking spot into work. I clock in at 9:00am at the dot. I'm impressed.

I come into the office to find my desk covered in stacks of paper, all with little sticky notes giving me instructions on what to do with them. One is even on my chair... Is that really necessary? I put that stack last out of spite. Jordyn, my fellow assistant, is out for the morning to take her glucose tolerance test. She is due on New Year's Eve with a little girl-- sound familiar? :)

I have never understood why everyone in my office is constantly stressed out. When it comes right down to it, this is what I think about what we do: We plan parties. Lighten up, folks. But it's not about parties, it's about money. I never imagined it would be such a sales-oriented environment. So I spend my morning going over Thursday's bills, tracking how much money was made, typing a report on sales prospects at Washington State University, and taking projects as they fly at me from both my managers. I'm so glad I just work half-days. My eyes are burning by the time I go to pump, a ritual I am growing increasingly tired of, but which I can't live without due to the fact that I can barely get Luci to nurse during the day, and I wind up with blocked ducts if I try to skip my morning pump.

1:00pm: It's time to go home, but I still have several loose ends to tie up. Nobody seems to mind if I stay late-- in fact, my managers' boss has asked them to bump me to full-time, but they told her they weren't going to push for it. Thank goodness. I'd probably do it, because I'd feel guilty saying no, but we are all sufficiently exhausted and stressed out as it is. I was hired for part time, and part time is all I want right now. I have agreed to cover for Jordyn full-time while she is on leave for almost two months, and I'm dreading it.

My managers' boss is a mean, blonde, tan lady with an arm full of silver bracelets that jangle around like a cow bell you can hear from a mile away. She literally makes people cry, and she loves pointing out others' mistakes. She's competitive to the core, which is why she is in charge of both sales and catering. Thankfully, my managers are not mean, but they are under a ton of pressure all the time. Behind closed doors, they both say, "There's more to life than this place." It's nice to know that's how they really feel, especially when they are yelling at Jordyn and me for forgetting to order sales folders or call X client or Y client. I try not to let it get to me, but it's going to be rough when Jordyn goes on leave and I'm the only one to blame.

2:00pm: I'm finally home. Luci is playing happily in the living room with my mom and Robin. "Guess who only had a 30 minute nap today..." is the first thing out of my mom's mouth. She always gives me the daily report: what Luci ate, how long she slept, and whether she pooped. She loves both my mom and Robin, and I feel so lucky to leave her in such good hands.

A turkey sandwich and Earl Grey are just what my cold, tired body need. Luci appears to be overtired and melting down, so I finish my lunch in a hurry and take her downstairs. I am depressed to report that my glider chair has lost its magic-- I haven't gotten her to sleep in the chair for over a week now. I try anyway, but she is doing horrific things to my nipple as she restlessly squirms around in my lap. Frustrated, I take her into our room, shut off the light, and nurse her down in our bed. I wasn't planning on a nap today, but it's not hard to send me back into hibernation. We sleep about an hour, though I feel like I could keep going for hours and hours. This time of year kills me, as temperatures drop and light dwindle.





After I manage to drag myself out of bed, we spend some time lounging upstairs with my dad. I'm feeling lazy, but I know I'll feel better if I get some sort of exercise. I bundle Luci up in the fuzzy bear suit that was way too big for her the last time I can remember it being cold enough for it. Now I am surprised to find that she has just about outgrown it-- it stretches tight when she straightens her legs.




My dad comes along on our walk, and we trek through the woods as Luci rides belly-to-belly with me in the Ergo carrier. She is in awe the minute we step outside-- she loves the change in temperature, air, sounds, smells and sights. Her eyes are wide and she lets out a periodic "Ooh!" as she looks at trees and hears birds. By the end of the walk, she has discovered a new favorite way to ride so that she can stare up at the sky through the trees:


Coming back into the house feels like a blast of heat to our cold cheeks and noses. Spaghetti is in the works, and I manage to feed Luci her dinner and get her bathed before grown-up food is on the table. Spaghetti is one of my current favorite things to eat, not only because it's delicious, but because I can entertain Luci for quite a while if I give her a noodle or two, and I'm able to eat in relative peace. We still don't have a high chair, as the Bumbo plus tray is still working perfectly for that function without taking up any extra space.

That bib was mine when I was a babe. :)

Luci starts another meltdown before I've finished eating, but I'm doubtful that she's going to go down easy. It take her down to the chair again, and again, it ends in horrific nipple-torturing antics. I try just rocking her for about 10 minutes, and she alternates between monkeying around and snuggling into my chest. The snuggles are heavenly, but it's frustrating to watch her fight sleep as usual. When she starts whining to get down, I give up and take her back upstairs. My mom looks at me sympathetically, and takes Luci back down to see if she can get her settled. I give them about 10 minutes, then go down. She's still up, whimpering and wiggling in my mom's lap as she rocks Luci.

What used to be the magic chair.

I take her and try nursing again, and to my delight, this one's a go. She's out in minutes, but I give her a few extra minutes to flutter-suck to make sure she's really asleep.

As I type this, she is still sleeping in her crib, and my eyes are burning. I can't believe I'm this tired at 9pm even after having had a nap today. Adam should be off in 10 or 15 minutes, and I will jump out of my chair to run and meet him when he walks in the door. His schedule is killer these days, and he's not the only one who suffers for it. I'm taking it a little harder than I thought I would, but I never feel good when I know he is stressed, and I miss him all the time. Our bank account is in much better shape these days, but sometimes I wonder if it's worth all the stress. He took up smoking again this week, and not just occasionally. He went from "I quit" to full-blown addiction in a matter of days. I don't like it, but he knows that, and it isn't worth fighting about. I have never understood how smoking factors into the stress-- doesn't it just add more stress?? Now on top of everything else on his plate, he has those nagging urges that make him antsy all the time. I'm trying my best not to get on his case about it, but I not-so-secretly can't wait until he quits again. :(

I'm off to wash off the makeup I've already smudged and rubbed all over my itchy eyes a thousand times today. And then I'll be running up to greet Smoky the Bear with a big hug, and probably the requisite foot and/ or back rub he gets out of me most days. :)


Is it really Friday? I don't know where the time goes these days.

4 comments:

Lorrie said...

I loved hearing about your day! We have the same work hours 9-1 and I can relate to trying to fit a whole days work into 4 hours (:
I love hearing about Luci's day as well... She is so adorable I can't stand it. Someday she will get that sleeping thing down (: It seems like now it is never ending and you are exhausted all the time, but you'll look back in a year or two or maybe three and forget she was ever hard to get to sleep.
Not happy that Adam is smoking again-I wish he could figure out another vice to handle his stress-exercise, yoga, meditation, food, etc....(: I don't know, but I would be upset, too. I can't wait to hear more about your days!

Chris said...

I love hearing about your day, too, and seeing Luci is so great. You sound like you're overly stressed. I wonder if you're getting sick--feeling tired and your eyes are burning all the time. I feel for you. I so wish I could help you out in any way. It is nice, though, to have your Mom, sis and Dad there to help out when you need it. Especially for those spaghetti nights! I, too, love spaghetti and could eat it every day of the week.
I'm not happy with Adam smoking again. I agree with Lorrie-pick ANYTHING else...except maybe drinking or drugs. :) Adam just may need to cut back on hours at some point, with school and family life, he's really stretching himself thin.
Please keep posting. I love hearing about you!

Peace is every step said...

YAY! Another post! I love hearing of your day...I bet if I did this when Neve was Luci's age our day would be similar, sleep wise. Sleep routines can be so tough to establish-sounds like she's got one down in her own nipple-torture way!:)

I'm going to sound like a total weirdo, but trust me: breastmilk in the itchy eye. It will clear up anything brewing with just a few drops a day. Hippie alert.

Julie B said...

I can't believe I missed this post!

it's so good to hear about your day, although everyone's days seem so tiring :)
I so understand how hard it is not to have windows-its hard to stay awake when you don't have any hint of the sun!
The sleeping sounds tough with Luci..hang in there, it will get easier!
Danielle-glad I am not the only freak about the powers of breast milk! I was shoving it in Rose's nose today to help with her congestion :)