Monday, October 27, 2008

To Danielle (or other XC Skiing Enthusiasts)

My dear old dad has been dying to get me to go cross country skiing with him this winter. We went to the annual Ski Swap (used ski/ gear/ clothing exchange extravaganza... HUGE event here) last weekend, and got me skis, boots and poles.

So I'M set... But the thing is, he wants Luci to come on these adventures. His first idea was to pull her on a sled. When I pointed out that she is never content to sit and go along for the ride (always has to be standing, movin' and shakin'), he first said, "Well, maybe-- and this may sound mean-- maybe we could let her stand up and fall over into the snow, get a face full, and then she would know not to do that." (I was pretty much at a loss for words. I maintain the hope that he was kidding, but we're never really sure.)

His next idea was to strap her down (duct tape, perhaps) into the sled. I remained unconvinced. So we asked somebody at the Ski Swap if there was something safe to use to tow her. There is, we learned. We also learned it's over FOUR HUNDRED dollars.

My plan all along was to throw her in a back pack (the framed kind, not like Adam's school bag or anything) or my Ergo Baby. But is that even safe? What if I fall? Will she freeze if she's just along for the ride?


On the plus side, she looks good as a marshmallow bear.
Advice?

4 comments:

Lorrie said...

Since this is your first time XC skiing just plan on falling, ALOT (: And trust me you won't just fall one certain way either......I think if you can pull her in some kind of sled with straps to hold her down that would be best. She would probably love it if she were bundled in a cozy sled swooshing through the snow (at least when you get the hang of it that is :)) I plan to do a lot of it myself this winter, it's a great workout, but honestly Danielle is the pro and probably has better advice (:

Peace is every step said...

I SOO wish you could be my ski buddy! While the sled sounds like a good idea, the reality is that the snow kicks up and back-right into their little faces. Even the expensive ones, unless you get the kind that is a bike trailer/stroller/ski sled with an enclosed cover. It might be worth it to look on ebay or Craig's list if you do any biking or jogging and get the attachment.
I used my wrap with Nevie, and just stuck to the flat trails. I never had a high-tech hiking carrier. But, I never liked the thought of her on my back while skiing-so I kept her in front. She loved it & I never fell forward (just backward).
Keep us updated! I'm hoping for snow soon.

Peace is every step said...

I forgot to add that the ski clothes for babes are totally worth it. Get some woolies for a bottom layer, with cozy smart wool socks and add the fleece kid ski clothes stuff on top, followed with a snowsuit. Ebay or Craigs list is the best way to go.

Lorrie said...

Like I said, Danielle probably has better advice (: