Friday, May 2, 2008

Yes, the big day has arrived. Well, no, not THAT big day, but a moderately big day that relates to the Very Big Day: We are going dress shopping.

*Cringe*
^ That is my reaction every time this thought crosses my mind. NOT because I am dreading the wedding or anything of that nature, but because I still just don't feel like my body is ready. But it's time-- past time. And actually, this will be Round Two for me and Luci. On a whim a few weeks ago, we stopped by the Bridal Outlet that I drive by every single day on my way home. I originally stepped in just to quickly look around and get a general sense of the selection, but I was all too easily persuaded to try on a few dresses.

And they were AWFUL. I was AWFUL in them. Anything that fit my boobs did not fit my body (and therefore made my body look huge), and vice versa. I would blame lactation, but I had this problem long before the milkies ever came in.

I was disheartened after that shopping attempt, although I knew I had made some fundamental mistakes (going alone, starting at the outlet, bringing my crabby baby...). But I'm still a little freaked out that I'm not going to be able to find anything to fit my "curvaceous body"...

...And here I must interrupt myself to recap a conversation I had with Robin a few weeks ago:

Maja: "We need to go dress shopping soon."
Robin: "I know. I haven't even lost any weight; it's kind of depwessing."
Maja: "You don't need to lose any weight. You look fine."
Robin: "I know. Actually, I kind of love my curvaceous body."

Hahaha :) If only I had that attitude... Although I did get a pretty sweet compliment on my ride up the elevator this morning. Stephanie, the Activities Director for the Club, said, "Do you know... you are just one of the most beautiful creatures I have ever seen. You always look so beautiful, and I just think, 'Wow.' Did you know that? You should." I suspect someone hired her to do this sneak-attack compliment to boost my self-confidence on dress-shopping day, but whatever. It was really nice. Also, it in no way changes my conviction that she is sometimes a complete dumbass when it comes to running Club events.

Anyway... This time, we are going to real bridal shops, and I have an entourage-- Mom, Robin, Connie (my brother Charles's girlfriend, also my bridesmaid :)), Caitlin (friend since middle school), and of course Luci. I will let you know how it goes. Only, I won't let you know TOO much, because I don't want Adam to know anything. Because even though he probably doesn't have any interest whatsoever, I want it to be a surprise. :) I keep thinking that this is going to make it so REAL for me... Seeing myself in a wedding dress (*uh, specifically one which does not make me look like a whale and/ or popover) will just make all those visions reality... I'm getting MARRIED in only a few months. That just blows my mind! I'm so excited, though. I love my Mr. LeBon, even if he doesn't know how to work a Crock Pot.

In other news, LUCI IS FOUR MONTHS OLD. We just had her 4-month checkup yesterday, and I swear she couldn't have been happier to be at the doctor's office. She was in a great mood, looking at herself in the mirror, doing her smile-and-spaz-out-I'm-so-happy-to-see-you routine every time she looked at me, the nurse OR the doctor, and trying desperately to eat the leakproof pad they had underneath her. And then there were the shots... Sigh. I hate seeing her cry like that. She wails so hard that she gets those crying-hiccups, and looks at me like I'm the meanest mom in the world. :( But she did really well, and I gave her a couple of rounds of Tylenol throughout the afternoon (and walked like EIGHT MILES, not even kidding. Going for a ride in the stroller usually keeps her happy. So we did at least 4 miles on the Centennial Trail, spent some time at the mall, made about 40 loops around Target, went to my favorite second-hand store, and did a lot of pacing at home)... and she was fussy, but never had a meltdown like last time she got vaccinations. So yay.

The stats:Weight: 12 lbs, 14 oz (Uh, remember how my guess for her 2-month weight was 12 lbs 5 oz?)
Length: 25.25 inches (that's 6 inches since birth! A whole half a foot!)
Head circumference: 40 cm

Her hair is coming in a little more now, and her skin looks so much better since we got some nursing help. No signs of teeth yet, thank GOD, because although she's latching better, she still has horrible pacifier habits with my poor nippies, and I still haven't figured out how to resolve that. (My mom insists that it's "unnatural" not to let a baby have a paci, and although that doesn't make sense to me, it doesn't change the fact that we can't really make it through the day without using one :-/) She also just figured out how to blow raspberries ON MY BOOB, so that's been a treat. I was nursing her in public yesterday, and people were hearing her as she messed around and going, "Oh! Is she farting?" Oh, my delicate little flower. :)

Well, I guess that's enough for one installment of the I'm At Work in the Office and Bored Out of My Skull edition. Only 3 more hours until the big shopping trip begins...

2 comments:

Chris said...

Oh Maja...how I wish I could be there for the big shopping day, too. During this prom time, I learned that I love the dress shopping part of it all.
And I have to say that I also think you are one of the most beautiful creatures I know. You are going to look GORGEOUS in your dress. How could you not??

Lorrie said...

I wish I could have been there, too! You will look so beautiful in your wedding dress-did you end up finding the dress of your dreams? How did it go?