Saturday, April 26, 2008

What a Crock

Adam is going to tell me I'm mean for writing this. But I have to, baby. I just have to.

So I've been trying to do weekly meal planning and do only one grocery shopping trip per week. While it is a bit of a headache to sit down and figure out exactly what's for dinner for a seven-day stretch, it's so much nicer not to have to face the "What should we have for dinner?" question night after night. That, and we waste a lot of food, and I hope to waste a little less and spend a little less by being more organized. I used to love grocery shopping. I used to do it recreationally. Now, with a little Luci to haul around, who is a ticking time bomb of immanent poop explosions and booby-needs, I do not enjoy the grocery store so much. And not only do I have Luci, but I am completely lacking in the creative energy necessary for spontaneous cooking (beyond grilled cheese and frozen pizzas, of course).

Anyway, it's been going pretty well. I have my lapses some nights when I realize it's 5:00pm and my 5-hour chicken dish isn't going to be ready until 10:00pm, and we have grilled cheese. But I've been trying.

So yesterday, I had planned to make a stew in the Crock Pot that would cook most of the day until Adam got home with Luci, since I had to work. But I opened up my meat and it smelled a little funky, so I had to come up with something else to go with the 30 pounds of vegetables I had chopped. I had some frozen chicken breasts, so I browned two and threw them in with the 30 pounds of veggies, turned the Crock Pot on low, and left the house.I talked to Adam around 7, when he was heading to get Luci and go home. I told him that I had made something in the Crock Pot, which was not quite a stew but which would probably taste alright. The conversation went something like this:
Maja: "Um, my meat was funky, so I threw some chicken and stuff in the Crock Pot before I left."
Adam: *Silence*
Maja: "So... you can... hopefully it will taste alright, and if not, you can always eat granola bars and wine."
Adam: "Wait, so you want me to... eat what's in the Crock Pot?"
Adam, in own head: *BY MYSELF???*
Maja: "Well yeah."
Adam: "Oh. Well... I'll just wait 'til you get home."
Maja: "Uh, that might not be 'til pretty late."
Adam: "Oh. Well, I'll just... Hmm."

So I went back to work. And the work gods were kind enough to let me out at 11, probably several hours earlier than everyone else. I had not gotten a dinner break at work, so I was looking forward to eating at home. I called Adam on the way home. The conversation went something like this:
Maja: "So how was the chicken?"
Adam: "What?"
Maja: "The dinner. Was it okay?"
Adam: "Oh. I uh, got something on the way home."
Maja: *Laughs* "Wow. Thanks."
Adam: "So, wait... Uh... was I supposed to turn that stuff off?"

And I knew in my heart that those veggies could not withstand 13 hours in the slow cooker, but I had to see it for myself:




The wreckage. Unfortunately, I'm not sure this photo accurately conveys the unnatural shade of gray everything had assumed. Nor does it convey the nasty burnt-broccoli fumes.


Next time, I will just lay out the granola bars and wine.

7 comments:

Peace is every step said...

OK Earl Junior.

I'd be having that boy cut himself down a switch. He needs a good beating.

I'm hoping he's not quite as lazy when it comes to feeding Luci?!?!?!

Lorrie said...

Adam, that is just sad.....really sad. Why wouldn't you want a home cooked meal? I would be giving my husband a good beating if he didn't eat what I made him in the crock pot.

Adam said...

THIS IS TOTALLY NOT FAIR!

That said, I was waiting for the Maj to get home so we could eat *together*, so I picked up a single cheeseburger on the way home to hold me over. Now, as for the crockpot, well it was on low... which I thought meant it was kind of like a simmer thing that kept the food warm. I didn't know it was actually cooking it.

So, the point is; I'm dumb, not unappreciative. Duh.

Chris said...

Adam--I'm sorry, pathetic excuse. Honey, it's o.k. to sometimes eat all by your little lonesome some nights--especially when your lady (a very hard-working lady, I might add) makes a meal for you to come home to, and she's not even there! That is love. And, Adam, just so you know, I think any woman would be happier to have her man eat the meal she prepared for him rather than let it spoil just to wait for her. Don't you think ladies??
Boy, you have lots of learnin' to do....

Maja, you have all my love, girl. :)

My Lifesong said...

OK, Give the guy a break. Guys take longer figuring out household things, like how long a meal should cook, and that is #230 something of life's lessons. After all the man beating, I'll bet he's learned a thing or two. I'm just sorry the meal had to be wasted. Just one lesson for you, Maja,leave explicit instructions for Adam, like when to turn it off, what to do with leftovers, and how to clean it up. I give YOU an A+ for effort in making home cooked meals.

Julie B said...

Mom-he's a grown man, not a child! In this day and age, there really isn't a good enough reason not to know how to do these things...this isn't the old days when wives do all the housework and husbands expect to be doted on. That said, Adam-you need to learn quickly in order to create a PARTNERSHIP with your future wife! I guess I don't get why you wouldn't just eat by yourself? Especially when it was all prepared for you!

Maja-sorry it turned out the way it did! I am sure it would have been delicious :) I really need some more crock-pot recipes, makes things so much easier :)

Peace is every step said...

HAHAHAHA! I guess we know why Dad still doesn't know how to cook & clean. :)

Instructions? This made me spit out my water thru my nose laughing. Oh, those first years of living together are magical, aren't they? Love it!

More stories, More Stories!!!! We'll set him straight for you sista! You are officially in the club.